TGS believes that every child deserves the best possible start in life and the support that enables them to fulfil their potential.Children develop quickly in their early years and a child’s experiences between birth and age six have a major impact on their future life chances.A secure,safe and happy childhood is important.Good parenting and high quality early learning together provide the foundation children need to make the most of their abilities and talents as they grow.
Staff at TGS believe that every child is a unique and is constantly learning to be resilient,capable and self-assured. We know that children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships and will develop appropriately in environments which respond to their individual needs and where there is a strong partnership between teachers and parents.We also understand that children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
At TGS,effective teaching and learning is characterized by providing opportunities for play and exploration through which children investigate and experience. All students will ‘have a go’.We believe in active learning where children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties,create and think critically and learn to enjoy their achievements.We encourage children to develop their own ideas,make links between ideas and develop strategies for doing things.
Our education programme involves activities and experiences for children, as follows:
- We give children opportunities to experience a rich language environment, to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves,and to speak and listen in a range of situations.
- We provide opportunities for young children to be active and interactive and to develop their co-ordination, control and movement.Children are helped to understand the importance of physical activity and to make healthy choices in relation to food.
- We help children to develop a positive sense of themselves and others, to form positive relationships and develop respect for others,to develop social skills and learn how to manage their feelings, to understand appropriate behaviour in groups and to have confidence in their own abilities.
- We encourage children to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write.They are given access to a wide range of reading materials to ignite their interest.
- We provide children with opportunities to develop and improve their skills in counting, understanding and using numbers,calculating simple addition and subtraction problems and to describe shapes,spaces,and measures.
- We guide children in making sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore,observe and find out about people,places,technology and the environment.
- We enable children to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials, as well as provide opportunities and encouragement for sharing their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of activities in art, music, movement, dance and role-play.